Silapakorn University (มหาวิทยาลัยศิลปากร) is Thailand’s premiere Fine Arts institute. Founded by Italian-born, Thai-naturalized, Silpa Bhirasri (ศิลป์พีระศรี born Corrado Feroci), the country’s third State University was initially established as Pranete Silpakam School at Thapra Palace (วังท่าพระ) in 1939 to educate the Royal and Bureaucratic elite, gradually expanding during the second world war until it officially gained University status on October 12, 1943.
By 1968, the university had expanded, opening a rural campus in Nakhon Pathom province. This campus is known as Sanam Chan Palace (วังสนามจันทร์)located about one hour west of central Bangkok.
In 1997, a new campus was built in Phetchaburi province, about two hours southeast of the capital. This campus is referred to as the Phetchburi IT campus (สารสนเทศเพชรบุรี)