In Thai, เกษตรศาสตร์ Kasetsart litterally means ‘Agricultural Sciences,’ thus Kesetsart University is the University of Agricultural Sciences มหาวิทยาลัยเกษตรศาสตร์. The origins of Kasetsart University can be traced back to 1904 when the School of Sericulture was founded by Prince Phichaimahintharodom, Director of the Department of Sericulture of the Ministry of Agriculture.
By 1906, it changed to the school or Agriculture and a few years later was merged with the School of Surveying (since 1882) and School of Irrigation (since 1905), ultimately forming the Agriculture Primary teachers training school by 1917. In the following decades of various split and merges–as agricultural knowledge and technologies advanced through time of World War, by 1935, the training school evolved into the College of Agriculture at the present day area of the Bangkhen Campus in North-Central Bangkok
It wasn’t until February 2, 1943 that Kasetsart was formally established via the Kasetsart University Act of 1943, comprised of four faculties, namely, Faculty of Agriculture, Forestry, Cooperative Sciences, and Fishery. Starting in 1967, plans for a new campus begun, and after support from the World Bank Development loan and government funding, the Kampaeng Saen campus was completed by 1978 in Nakhon Pathom province, about 90 kilometers west of Bangkok.
Today, there are also regional campuses in Sri Racha in Chonburi province, Suphan Buri province, Lopburi province, Chalerm Prakiat Campus in Sakhon Nakhon province, and Krabi province.